Friday, March 12, 2010

Pretentious Bitch

Why must people feel the need to laugh at a person while they are standing in front of the whole class giving a presentation? It seems like everytime I open my mouth to give my opinion someone laughs at me. So, I choose not to speak in most if not all of my classes unless I am forced to, like on Thursday.

It was a group presentation in my Visual Culture class, which is actually a pretty difficult class to follow. Luckily there aren't any real tests just three papers each 6 pages long and one presentation. Well mine was the other day. I and my group members were nervous. I was the last person to speak and I had note cards. We gave the class questions to answer which started a great discussion about the documentary we were presenting. The documentary was so odd. You can buy it for 400 dollars its called Reassemblage. Anyway, at one point I gave my well thought opinion about what the documentary was about and a woman let out a hardy laugh and so did some guy in a stupid hat and skinny jeans. The woman is pretentious and likes to hear herself speak. She's a graduate, how fancy. No one else in the class found it comical or silly. Maybe I need to develop a thick skin OR maybe I should have told her to fuck off when class was over. I don't usually curse but I was livid and still am. Something like this has happened in almost all of my classes.


Not to sound self-centered, but I like to think people feel threatened by me when things like this happen. I'm smart, diligent, pretty, fashionable, and I look different. I'm not the All American type. Maybe people just don't get me and those who do are just as different as I am.

2 comments:

Becky D said...

I know exactly how you feel, I usually have one or two people in every class that whenever I speak up about something they make me feel so dumb. Its bull, so I usually never speak up in class.

LINDA said...

Wow, I can't believe that someone in college would be immature enough to laugh at the other students. Unbelievable!