Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Major Change

So, this is my first blog and I probably won't update it everyday but I will do my best to post something at least once a week. I'm starting this blog in the hopes that it will keep me on track and focused. If I post the things I need to do, people I know will read it and expect me to follow through. I don't want to embarrass myself, so I MUST do them.

Lately, well for the past year and half, I've been struggling with my major. I'm currently in the School of Ed. with a double major of English and Special Ed. I do NOT want to be a teacher anymore. I like kids but teaching them does not sound appealing anymore. The schools around here are pretty horrible. There's no funding. The students seem to be getting worse. The schools are poor, and the teachers are poor as well. You don't become a teacher for the money, and I'm realizing that I would like to make an above average income. Who doesn't? I want to be able to support myself. I don't need a man! (Eric, I think you're great!)

I spoke with a new counselor today about keeping my English major and finding a new minor. I will be in school for a little longer but it will be worth it in the long run. I don't want to be stuck at a cruddy job that I hate. I'm considering communications as my minor in the areas of screen studies and  journalism. I have all the forms needed for a change of major, so hopefully I will turn those in by the end of this week or early next week. I'm not exactly sure how much longer I will be in school yet; I will figure all that out when I get a list of requirements for my minor.I already have most of my English credits! I want to take summer classes and take 15 credit hours a semester. I want to be done. I hate school at the moment. I've never hated school this much. Hopefully this change will help me like school more. I used to love it. I should have changed it sooner, but I didn't want to let my parents down. They seemed so proud of me, but I realized they will be proud as long as I graduate. They want me to be successful and happy.

People always ask me "what can you do with an English major?" Well, my counselor gave me a list of career options that I will hand out the next time someone asks. Please stop asking me that, I don't want to make a ton of copies and kill trees.

To do list:
Fill out change of major form
Submit form
Find list of requirements for minor
Figure out possible spring classes
Figure out how long it will take me to graduate (I hope it takes less than two years)
Update bloggity blog

1 comment:

ModemMama said...

I agree with the job you'd hate-that would suck. Fortunately I love my job but I've had some dandy's. Great I look forward to your blog!!!!