Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Controversial!!!

When I signed up for my Visual Culture class I was expecting an interesting easy 'A' class. Well, not so much on the easy part. A lot of terms are confusing and difficult for me to put into layman terms for my own personal notes. I earned a 'B' on the first paper, so I guess I do understand a bit.
Anywho, we cover topics that range from white supremacy to sexuality (homosexual and heterosexual). The topics sometimes make me a little uncomfortable. We look at different images and decipher what they actual mean and the impact they made on our culture among others.
The subject matter for today was Madonna. We read an essay that showed how she might possibly be a racist white supremacist. Yikes!! I'm still undecided. We focused on 80s and 90s Madonna. I think now she's adopted a little boy from Africa. Anyway she burned crosses in her Like a Prayer video, which people thought was against the church but it's also a very memorable/horrible statement made by the KKK. So which is it? There is other evidence but that was a big one. We even watched the video.
I just wanted to share my crazy class story for today.
Have a good night. Sleep tight.

1 comment:

ModemMama said...

That sounds enlightening though. Don't worry, once I took an art class in college, I thought we'd just look at pictures and talk about them-turned out we had to actually create art. Very scary if you've ever see me draw.